INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR HIGHER SPANISH STUDIES (CIESE-COMILLAS)
UNIVERSITY MASTER’S DEGREE IN TEACHING SPANISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE
DISTRIBUTION OF CREDITS AND MASTER’S DEGREE STRUCTURE
- Required: 40
- External internships: 6
- Final Master’s project: 14
The justification of the scientific, academic and professional interest in the Masters in Spanish as a Foreign Language stems from the privileged international status the Spanish language currently enjoys, as demonstrated in the 2012 report from the Cervantes Institute:
- More than 495 million people speak Spanish.
- Spanish is the second most frequently spoken language in the world, and the second most commonly used language for international communication.
- For demographic reasons, the percentage of the world population that speaks Spanish as their native language is increasing, while the proportion of Chinese and English speakers is decreasing.
- By 2030, 7.5% of the world population will be Spanish-speaking (a total of 535 million people), a percentage that is far above figures for those who speak Russian (2.2%), French (1.4%) and German (1.2%). By then, only Chinese will surpass Spanish in terms of the number of native speakers.
- Within three or four generations, 10% of the world population will understand one another in Spanish.
- By 2050, the United States will be the largest Spanish-speaking country in the world.
- Around 18 million students study Spanish as a foreign language.
- The image of the Spanish language is linked to the wide-spread perception of a quality international culture..
- The Cervantes Institute has recorded an annual growth of 8% in the number of students registering for Spanish classes.
This relentless growth in the demand for Spanish as a foreign language has brought about the need for well-trained, qualified teachers in this specialty. In response to this, the University of Cantabria and the CIESE-Comillas have developed the Official Master’s Degree in the Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language, with the aim of training teachers who are experts in both applied linguistics for the teaching of Spanish and in specific methodology, who are capable of conducting research in these fields and applying the results of their research in the classroom.
To achieve these objectives, our Master’s degree offers quality training and excellence, with a high-level teaching staff in terms of education and research, who have made this a top degree in Spain and abroad.